Tuesday 28 July 2015

Review | Dark Hope


Title: Dark Hope : Book 1 of the Archangel Prophecies
Author: Monica McGurk
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, Fantasy
Format: eARC
Page Count: 418
Publication Date: 29th July 2014
Publisher: River Grove Books

The Lowdown (taken from amazon.co.uk)

A new young adult saga in the Twilight tradition about the love between a human and an archangel.

For years, Hope Carmichael, survivor of a shocking child abduction, has lived a sheltered existence under the protection of her fanatically religious father. Now, liberated by her mother, Hope prepares to start life over as a normal kid in an Atlanta, Georgia, high school.

Normal, that is, until Hope meets Michael, a gorgeous emancipated teen with a mysterious past and a strong interest in Hope. And soon, Hope’s life is filled with questions. What’s behind the angry looks Hope gets from Lucas, leader of a gang of students? Who’s responsible for sending Hope a strange valentine inscribed with Bible quotations? How does this relate to the sinister business of human trafficking that operates on the periphery of Hope’s suburban world? And is Michael really a protector, or something more sinister—and just why does he seem so familiar?

In an epic narrative that takes readers from the back streets of Atlanta to the height of Vegas penthouses and beyond, Dark Hope introduces readers to The Archangel Prophecies, a new young adult saga that blends the feeling of Twilight with a vast mythological scope and moral urgency, as well as to Hope Carmichael—a young woman instantly memorable for her endurance, heart, and determination—and Michael, Hope’s dangerous companion who’s fated either to save Hope—or to kill her.


Where To Buy:
Image Map


Ratings:



Love or Hate
I really wish I could have fallen madly in love with this book. I’ve always been someone who is easily pleased and satisfied with most romance books but for some odd reason I’m recently stumbling into books I barely like at all. I picked this book as my next read from my Netgalley eARC’s because it was a story with angels and i loved the cover art, that’s about it. I love angels but I found this story so painful to read. I couldn’t connect emotionally with the characters so I could fan girl all over them. I didn’t get the feels, no laughing or ugly crying were involved here.

The Main Characters
The main characters of this story are Hope Carmichael (which could be translated to mean Michael’s heart) and Archangel Michael.
Can I just say firstly that Hope got on my last nerve with her childish and petty ways. Every single time I read her opening her mouth to say something to Michael I just wanted to shake her, shove her or just plain choke her so she couldn’t speak. Like how can you say you love someone, push them to prove their love then when they do you throw a fit like a 2 year old? Then complain about how alone you are when you’re pushing them away every chance you get with some petty nonsense. I can’t believe the intuition she’s ‘stolen’ isn’t going to good use. And lastly I think her ‘guardian angel’ isn’t Henri at all but is Lucian, and she’s too dumb to use her intuition to figure it out, esp. since her ‘guardian’ doesn’t turn up when she’s in danger and needs him but rather when he feels like goading Michael or vomiting up things for her to use to doubt Michael.

Now Michael I just felt sorry for. I wish I could’ve loved his character but he was too lenient with Hope and would just let her walk all over him. I get that he felt guilty for all the danger that was coming her way but really that was part of her destiny and the prophecy so I wish he could see that it’s not his fault. I honestly expected him to have this inner strength with all obstacles that came his way but he seemed so vulnerable with certain situations. I can understand it to a point but when it came to Lucian or Hope he just never thought rationally. And I dislike how weak his character was portrayed during those moments.

The Romance
There was barely any there at all. Though they both claimed to love each other I just felt like it was just put in for no reason. Like what did they love about each other? Actually let me rephrase that, I believed Michael was in love since he showed it in the way he’s always protected her all 16 years of her life and the way he continued to do so. And the way he was willing to sacrifice his own happiness for her. He’s even going so far as to disobey and sacrifice his position with God to save her, that’s love right there. But Hope was just saying it as something to do at that particular time but not because it was true or because she actually believed it. I believe she’s too selfish and judgmental to really see and understand others until its either too late or years have gone past e.g. her parents, Tabitha and now Michael.

My Hopes and Dreams for the Next Book

I would love for Hope to grow up mentally and maybe emotionally and realise how she’s treating the people around her. I would love for Michael to fall madly in love with someone that loves him back just as passionately. And I would love for them to figure out the prophecy already because if it’s not in book 2, I can’t promise I’ll be reading a third. okay, I just lied, if book 2 is amazing I will definitely read book 3.

Would you Recommend
I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for their next great, amazing read but if you don't mind / love reading about angels who aren't perfect and immature and childish heroines then this is perfect for you.








**Disclaimer: links to books are affiliate**

No comments:

Post a Comment